SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
paul__gw

Dormant Alocasia Poly ... how to wake the dumb thing up?

paul_
10 years ago

Or A. X amazonica (as the two seem to be used interchangeably from what I have seen).

So a number of years ago, I got one off the "death row" rack at Lowes largely because I wanted the pot and figured if the plant died then at least I'd still come out ahead. Well the plant has done pretty well for me thus far though I'd really like to get it beyond a 3 or 4 leaf stage. It has bloomed a number of times over the years and currently is about 1.5 feet tall.

Well a couple of years ago when I repotted, I separated out a couple of baby corms that had leafed out. They grew for a while then one went dormant (have no idea why) and a month or two later croaked. The larger baby continued growing slowly until sometime last fall/early winter when it went dormant (again, no idea why). I tried keeping it lightly moist but that made no difference. This summer I put it outside on my plant rack hoping the summer heat would do the trick and awaken it (tried to keep it moist). No deal. Well now temps are beginning hit the low 50's at night and so I have brought it back inside. Still zero signs of new growth but the corm seems firm/hard still. So what must I do to wake the dumb bunny up? (The mother plant, btw, just keeps chugging along ....)

Comments (10)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting