SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
greyandamy

House plant set up/locations

greyandamy
12 years ago

Several pages back, there was a long thread of some stating how many houseplants they had. The numbers were shocking to me, well, when I saw 40+.

I'll have....enough... some are sure to die as they do every winter, esp. some tropicals.

I wonder how/where you keep. Does anyone have photos on their setups? Shelves? I have a very sunny house (too much) though obviously winter is a time of clouds, low light often. But I only have certain rooms, and must keep the plants up due to pets.

How do you water, other than when known to be very dry? Do you have a schedule? Such as checking on once a week, etc?

What methods do you take (if any) of "Debugging" before bringing any outside plants back inside in fall?

Do you struggle with the gnats or whatever from moist soil? (I know, keep soil dry, keep air movement).

Do any of you use humidity trays? I never have before, and my heat is kept fairly low, but I read more and more about them. I haven't a clue what they could be that isn't too ugly?

How do you water larger numbers? Surely you can't take them each to sink, whatever? But do you let them sit in water that has collected in their base?

Sorry, lots of questions. I'm thinking ahead, of what's worth it to bring back inside.(i.e. spider plant that always looks crappy in winter, despite distilled water)...chenille plant, worth the effort, etc etc etc.

How do you keep from getting too large? Do you root prune?

Do any of you keep some in basement with lights (As I read in a fine gardening magazine, an article I should not have read!!!)...it was about overwintering tropicals/tenders and how "easy" it is..... articles like that should not get to my eyes.

amy

Comments (15)