SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sfhellwig

How to wake up a dormant tree shipped earlier in the year?

sfhellwig
12 years ago

Earlier this year I bought a few trees online and had them shipped to me. I had them sent in mid February or so as we were having a very mild winter. I did not buy locally as this is a relatively small town and what I was buying was not offered anywhere I could find. One of the trees was a small Ginko Biloba. I say small as the trunk was not very tall but it had a very good root system. I potted it up with the other ordered trees and put it in the garden. I made sure it didn't take any hard freezes but try not to baby new trees too much so that they wake up in the environment they will be living in. The tree has still not broken bud but still shows signs of green in the stalk. I don't like doing the scratch test too much as it induces damage but one scratch showed green cambium. So I left it longer until I was certain it was dead. At which point I rubbed off a bud. Still green. I am looking for any known methods of waking a dormant tree that doesn't want to wake up. Every year I have one or two, whether ordered and shipped or dug on my own that seem to stay dormant. Last year it was a good sized Black Cherry that I had given up on. Once I put it in the garage to be thrown out and let it go dry, it finally sprouted from the base and is now a multi-trunk sapling growing well. For the grower I ordered from and the time of year sent I don't believe it was held in refrigeration. Maybe just didn't get cold enough over the winter. I don't even know of any planted in this town to know if they didn't like the winter. Just looking for tips so I don't have to lose a tree or two every year to not waking up.

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!