SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kj_592

Custom Lawn Seed - Shade & Traffic

11 years ago

Hi,

I am new to forum, but have read a number of discussions on grass seed mixes for certain applications. It looks like their are a lot of knowledgeable people here and I was hoping to get your input.

I am looking to put together a custom seed mix for my lawn. We are in eastern Oregon, where it is generally sunny and dry. We rarely get below 20F in the winter, but we to get around 100F in the summer. Our lawn, however, is very shaded by large trees and and also has some dog traffic - I know, I know, a near impossible combination! Actually the lawn is big enough that it doesn't get pounded that bad by the dogs, but it is heavy shade. Probably 2-4 hours of sunlight each day.Regardless, I would like to maximize the traffic tolerance of the grasses that will grow in shade.

I have been studying the NTEP reports and have a "wish list" but, finding somebody that has all of the grasses and is willing to custom mix 50-100 lbs is pretty tough to come by. Is Williams Seed or The Hogan company my best options?

I am looking for some feedback on a mix I am thinking for the above application. I am a little torn on whether I should stick with shade tolerant TTTF and KBG, or if I should also work in some fine fescues? I saw where tiempo made a very nice shade lawn a few years back using straight TTTF.

Here is what I was thinking:

10% KBG (Bewtiched, Zinfindel, or Quantum Leap)
90% TTTF (3rd Millinium SRP, Bullseye, Essential, or Falcon IV or IV)

Or should I substitute some chewings (Intrigue II or Longfellow III), hard (Beacon or Spartan II), or creeping red (Navigator II or Jasper II) for some of the TTTF?

My above mix is purely from studying the reports and I really don't have any idea on how they will mix aesthetically. Any advice?

Thanks!

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz