SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
axel_hb

Why are Mac Intosh apples so horrible in Califonria

Axel
13 years ago

I will probably graft over my Mac tree to something else. Every year it's the same thing, they are simply horrible. Nobody else around here seems to be able to grow good macs. I also tried a number of Mac offshoots like sweet McIntosh, early McIntosh, and so on, and they are all terrible! But it's not just the macs, it's a large proportion of the stuff that ripens around the end of August and the beginning of September.

Now we are finally getting incredible apples, everything that is ripening is so tasty, including king, freedom, alexander, rubinette, empire and so on. Even "snow" is good. The early ripening snow apples were terrible, but the last few left on the tree ended up more colored up and really sweet and tasty. Seems the improvement happened right when the first lows out of the Gulf of Alaska stating hitting us, dropping night temperatures into the 40's. The difference is pretty pronounced!

Is it the weather? Does Mac simply need some good night temps in the 40's in late August to ripen to good flavor? Is a good mac hopeless below 45N?

Comments (15)

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations