SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
iowajer

McIntosh Apple & Malathion

iowajer
14 years ago

Hi,

I have a mature full size McIntosh apple tree that is maybe 25' tall and close to that wide. I've had some years where it seems to have the famous premature drop, and others not so much. It occurred to me that I've sprayed Malathion over the past few years on all my trees and I think only last year did I seem to notice that it is not recommended for my McIntosh. (so of course I wondered if maybe my using it on the Mac had anything to do with the early drop thing. If so, the drop isn't as consistant as my spraying I guess...)

It hasn't seemed to had any effect on the quality and size of the apples and I don't recall that there was anything unusual about the fruits apperance after using Malathion.

Anyway, besides the mature Mac I have mature Earlyblaze, Golden Del, Red Del, State Fair, and Haralson, and in the ground for two years are a Honeycrisp, an Empire, & another Mac.

So I mix my spray in one of those tank sprayers on the back of my ATV and it's fairly convenient to be able to do all my trees at the same time with the same spray. That said, I would stop using Malathion in a minute on my Mac's if the experts on here advise me to, and would welcome any suggestions as a replacement.

Thanks!!

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting