SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
steven994_gw

The biggest problem in my garden ...

steven994
15 years ago

is trying to get grass to grow under my large maple trees!

Here's my story. I have 7 large maples (about 60 feet high, 1-2 feet diameter) planted in a row in my back yard. Grass does not grow, save for a couple lone strands here and there, within 15 feet of the trees.

Here's what I've tried. First off I trimmed low lying branches to allow more sunlight to reach the area. The area where I'd like grass to grow now gets about 5-6 hours of sun a day. Secondly, I applied topsoil, shade tolerent grass seed, and scotts turfbuilder, as per instructions, and watered every day for about a month. Nothing of any value grew.

Today, I look out and around the trees its a barren wasteland. The soil appears to have a lot of cracks in it after rainfall and drying out. Compaction issues maybe? Not enough topsoil? The land used to be an orchard and the soil is thought of by locals as being fertile.

I've been doing some research and it appears that trying to get grass to grow under maples is futile. Appearently maples have a highly compettive shallow root system that will prevent grass from becoming established. Even if you put down sods, it will die over time.

Should I establish a buffer zone of 15 feet around my maples and forgot about grass there? I could fill this area with leaf mulch, as I always have tons of that stuff every fall. 4-6 inches deep 15 feet out? How would this look? Or should I buy cedar mulch and use that instead? Can I get hostas to grow in this mulched buffer zone? What could I do where I step off my deck?, grass wont grow there because of these maples.

Help!

Comments (28)