SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
7toddcharlie

My screw up. Maybe my biggest plant screwup

Todd C
7 years ago

My biggest japanese maple is a large green seedling that I started from seed about 10 years ago. Its probably 7 feet tall and has a big base. Its a big tree. And it is my only maple that consistently has good fall color for me here in texas. Its lived it's whole life in containers now in a large Terra cotta pot. Well I decided to chop it for bonsai. I Reduced the main trunk to maybe 6 inches and the largest branch (which would be the new trunk) to about 16 inches. But I was too late. We are having an early spring and The huge chops are bleeding quite a bit. First, I tried covering them with sphagnum and gauze and tying the little bundles with rubber bands. That didn't help. The little bundles were very wet the next morning and i was worried it was bleeding too much. So I tried my cut paste (actually duct seal that I use as cut paste because I'm cheap) - that didn't work. I tried hot grafting wax on the big chop that didn't work -- made a big mess and ruined the cereal bowl i melted the wax in (I threw it away dont tell my wife) I tried girdling just below the big chop with copper wire and i couldnt get it tight enough. then I tried that nasty black pruning seal. that didn't work, even that stuff doesn't dry fast enough with the tree bleeding so much. I then tried the nasty black spray and drying it with my wifes hair dryer. Well that made a bigger mess. So now I have this bleeding stump covered with grafting wax, black paint, and cut paste all over it. Unless anyone has any better advice I'm just going to leave it alone and cross my fingers but part of me wants to toss the whole dumb thing in a dumpster. I'm pissed at myself for being so dumb. Anyway, any thoughts appreciated. Maybe someone can learn from my bonehead move which I then compunded with subsequent bone head moves and produced this hideous thing out of what was a perfectly fine, very pretty, big japanese maple. Or maybe someone will chuckle. Thanks for reading here is some before and after....

Comments (5)