SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
glenn_russell_gw

Ferbam vs. Immunox for apples my results.

glenn_russell
14 years ago

Hi All-

At this point, Im probably not telling people too much that I havent already given away in previous postings. But, I said I would post my CAR Immunox vs. Ferbam results once I had them (was waiting until Aug 1st), so here I am.

At the beginning of the growing season last year, I started my quest to elliminate Cedar Apple Rust on my property. Unfortunately for me, by the time I obtained both the Immunox and the Ferbam, it was too late to spray it. As usual, I got a some good CAR last year though, it was no where near as bad as the previous years.

Really, around that time, nobody here on this forum was really talking about Immunox (also called Nova, Rally, Eagle, Myclobutanil ). Michael357 started talking about it, and had good results, but he was still in his first year. I think Harvestman (another satisfied regular user of Myclobutanil ) was not participating in this forum at that point. As a result, I had many questions regarding the Immunox effectiveness, timing of sprays, and dosage. Since I already also had Ferbam, I was wondering which would work better for me. So, I decided 2009 would be a test year, and I would see which one worked better for me, and then post the results here.

For those who might not be regulars here, Ferbam and Immunox are two fungicides for fighting Cedar Apple Rust (among other things). The problem with Ferbam is that you can only obtain it in orchard size quantities which are very expensive. My problem with Immunox was, when I started this quest, nobody seemed to know much about it (Until later when Michael357 started sharing his early results).

What I did: I divided my trees. Some would get Ferbam. Some would get Immunox. (My disease resistant trees got neither and arent listed below). This is in addition to my other orchard sprays like: Dormant Oil & Kocide3000 (for Scab & FB), the last of my crappy Bonide Fruit Tree spray (to ward off PC before my apple bags went on), and lots of deer spray. Why would I ever give both Immunox and Ferbam to a tree? Well, its because the trees started out as Ferbam trees, but then they got Powdery Mildew. So, I had to give em some Immunox which pretty much invalidates them for this test.

My CAR scale goes from 0 - 9. 0 being no CAR, 9 being the worst case pictures of CAR Ive ever seen. I really wish I had CAR data from 2006 and 2007, as they were much worse than 2008. In those years, there would probably have been quite a few 6s, 7s, and 8s. A blank means that I didnt have that tree that year (i.e. new tree). I know CAR is alive and well because my local nursery doesnt spray their apple trees, and they show it.

{{gwi:123431}}

The results: As you can see from the table above, I virtually eliminated CAR from my property this year. It didnt really seem to matter whether I used Ferbam or Immunox. The results were the same. Woohoo!

The Summer Red results of 1.5 may not even be accurate. There are only about 5 leaves showing between 1 and 7 CAR spots on them all clustered together. I'm wondering if I missed one of the sprays on that area? Additionally, I didn't spray the Immunox on it until after it developed Powdery Mildew which was about half way through the CAR period. But, I don't want to be accused of falsifying my data. :-)

The sprays: Because I didnt know the exact timing of my orchard (i.e. on average, pedal fall is on this date), I did 3 sprays. The sprays for both happened on 4/22, 5/6, 5/20. The rates for both fungicides was 1 tbsp/Gallon rate. I sprayed using my new Solo backpack sprayer as recommended by Jellyman. Now that Ive made an orchard calendar, next year, I will reduce this to just 2 precise sprays. I have chosen to use Immunox for some reasons Ill mention below. Now that Ive made an orchard calendar, next year, I will spray just twice, instead of 3 times: one at petal fall and one 10 to 14 days later (as was recommended by Harvestman for people who are trying to minimize their spraying.)

My Choice for the future: I will be using Immunox. There are 4 main reasons:

1.) Immunox is easy to obtain. I bought mine here. Make sure you get regular Immunox and not "Immunox Plus" which has an insecticide not rated for fruit!!!

2.) Ferbam really clogged my sprayers nozzle. Usually, once per spray, I had to clean the Ferbam granules out of my nozzle.

3.) Immunox has nice kickback qualities which make it effective even after the spores have arrived on the fruit.

4.) Immunox is also good at fighting other diseases that I have to fight: In order of need are: CAR, Scab, Powdery Mildew. My bagging of apples helps with the Flyspec & Sooty Blotch. No problem with Fruit Rots.

{{gwi:123432}}

My favorite homegrower fungicide table comes from: http://www.caf.wvu.edu/kearneysville/vadisbul.pdf

Hopefully this will help someone out there who was in the same boat that I was in a couple years ago. Thank you to Michael357, Harvestman, Jellyman, Dethride, and everyone else who helped me succeed in my quest.

-Glenn

Comments (9)