SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
denninmi

The upside and downside of 8 plus inches of August rain.

denninmi
12 years ago

Well, the upside -- everything has recovered from the July drought, and its all lush and green again. Plants look healthy. A lot of nice edible mushrooms -- meadow mushrooms, puffballs, King Stropharias, Chicken of the Woods/Sulfur Shelf, even a few remnant Shitakes on what is left of the innoculated logs from 5-6 years ago.

But the downside -- a lot of fruit is big, lush, and kind of flavorless. I picked a couple of quarts of big, juicy blackberries today that are pretty bland. And some big, juicy peaches that are pretty bland. And some pears that are ... wait for it... kind of bland. Tomatoes, actually not as flavorless as I thought they might be, I guess because our rains are coming in concentrated overnight thunderstorms with heavy downpours, so the days are basically sunny and nice. Melons -- well, not even really worth the effort to bring into the house -- flavorless between all of the water and the 70s days/50s nights cooler weather.

Kiwi Gold raspberries -- fantastic -- I don't think ANYTHING bothers this variety.

But, honestly, I'd rather have too much rain than too little.

Comments (12)