SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
david92629

Advice for Kentucky Bluegrass

david92629
16 years ago

I am renovating my lawn, and I am looking for advice for a high quality KBG. Moved in 4.5 yrs ago, and had trouble getting a good lawn. After neighbors told me previous owner of 30 years never had luck with his grass, I went about renovating. Soil is high in clay, and the topsoil was not deep, so I killed what was left of the grass and tilled in sphagnum peat moss. This was a time consuming process, however I now have a much softer and better-looking soil. Previous soil was HARD. Now I even have worms.

I have been researching KBG varieties and wish I could use Midnight, however we get Powdery Mildew on our Heavenly Bamboo, and I understand that is an issue with all dark-green KBGs. I am about 1.5 miles from the pacific in Southern California, and the temps are moderate. Typically does not get very hot here except for a week to thee weeks, where it might get into the upper 90's. Usually summer is in the 75 - 85 range and winter on occasion will go to 28, though typical cold winter morning is closer to 38. I don't think we got below 35 this year.

My lawn gets several hours of direct sun. A small portion gets an hour or two less. I am attracted by KBG's soft texture, fine leaf structure, and of course the color.

Sometimes in early summer we get June Gloom, where marine layer never lets the sun through for several weeks in early summer.

I have just begun considering Bedazzled, though I read that it has a prostrate growth pattern. Not sure if that means it will not look very good, or is more indicative of how it comes out of the plant initially.

Any and all advice is appreciated, though I doubt that I will go with something other than KBG. Additionally, I am not two interested in going with two different varieties, unless someone can tell me that 2 particular varieties of KBG will look like 1 variety. I do not like the look of most lawns that I see with two or more varieties of grass.

Thank you in advance. I do not want to mess this up, as this project has gone on for months (I have had very little time to work it), and I need to get on the good side of the wife.

David

Comments (18)