SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cruxpot

Backyard makeup

cruxpot
12 years ago

Hi all,

I'm new to this forum and I'm looking for some lawn care advice for a rough little plot of soil (my backyard). I live in San Antonio and I have attached photos of my neglect. During the drought, I tried for a while to keep the grass alive (mostly St. Augustine with some Bermuda), but it eventually died anyway and I gave up on it. Lovely south Texas weeds have grown in its place. The nasty bamboo is rearing its ugly head in the corner where the bushes are as well.

In the past, I usually dug up the roots and ripped it out and I built a barrier but it still gets through (I guess my barrier is not deep enough). I am also right next to a green belt/ditch on the other side of the fence which doesn't help matters because the weeds come through.

I sprayed some Round-Up Instant Ready-to-Use formula on these hardy weeds last weekend, and as you can see here, it barely phased them. I guess I will try other herbicides.

I am hoping some people here can give some good advice to an amateur. I don't want to use St. Augustine anymore because all it does is die every time there is a drought and I am tired of putting down sod. I don't have a sprinkler system so I move sprinklers and soakers around which is a hassle. How can I remove the dead St. Augustine thatch and what are some alternatives that will survive harsh south Texas droughts? What's a good way to keep Bermuda from growing in the beds?

Thanks in advance for any clues!

{{gwi:80946}}

{{gwi:80947}}

{{gwi:80948}}

{{gwi:80949}}

{{gwi:80950}}

{{gwi:80952}}

Comments (6)