SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
woodyoak

stories.... your journey to being a gardener....

Starting a separate thread for the discussion that started on the 'Help me with my design' thread.... tell us your story!

Marie - interesting topic suggestion re what ones beginning garden looked like etc.. I do often think about how different this garden is from the one at our first house, what influences are the same for both, and what things changed as I became a more experienced gardener. Thirty years ago when we bought our first house, it came with a fairly large perennial garden in the front and a space in the back for a veggie garden. The property was the same size as this one but was cursed with two large Norway maples in the backyard which rather limited the options there. Since we lived at Mom's parents (east coast small farm gradually going back to bash! Grandpa was 80 when I was born....) for a fair but of my youth, gardening was something I had done practically from the time I could walk ;-). Grandpa had my sister and I weeding the vegetable garden by we were 2-3 years old, and Mom had us working in the small perennial garden that dated back to her paternal grandmother's time. Plus my undergraduate degree is in agriculture, so I figured gardening was a piece-of-cake activity:-).

DH was responsible for veggies in his parent's garden, so he took on the veggie garden at our first house while I did the perennials.

At that point what fascinated me was seeing how much I could grow - i.e. how many different types and varieties of plants. There wasn't very much organization to it for the most part - a collection of plants more than a coherent garden. There were a couple of areas that had shaped up pleasingly (a white-themed area on a bank under the front window and swaths of hostas around the large concrete patio in the backyard) that gave me the sense that I needed to take a different approach to planting.

Bed lines, however, were simple, sweeping curves in the front, and rectangles in the back (veggie garden and patio garden) as those shapes seemed to best fit the spaces and reminded me of the sweeping lines of pasture edges, and the roughly rectangular hayfields and veggie garden I grew up with. When the time came to move on from our first house, I had a much better sense of what I liked and didn't like, and resolved to make the garden here in a much more organized fashion.

Having recently become disabled and unable to work, I also had the time to indulge in lots of reading about all things related to gardens, including lots of garden history stuff that led me down some odd pathways at times!

while I've tried to be more organized here and had a fairly good mental picture of what I wanted to create here, it has still been very much a trial-and-error process - doing one thing tends to lead to "well, now that over there looks wrong, so I now need to do [whatever]....". But that's a good part of the fun of it all!

I suspect that, at times, my comments might fall into your "snobbery" category because I am interested in things that would generally be considered fairly esoteric (Fibonacci spirals and such! ). But that's just part of the rather quirky person I am. I thoroughly enjoy gardening in all its aspects and believe a pleasure shared is a pleasure doubled. If my attempts to share my garden thoughts and pictures annoys or offends people, I do apologize - but I can't guarantee I will change very much :-)

i would love to read the stories of other people's journies to becoming the gardener they are now.

I'll start by reposting here my 'story' from there....:

Comments (33)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths