SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
joel_bc

?? Re-hydrating and feeding Boston fern

14 years ago

I have a Boston fern that I acquired a bit over month ago (from a nursery). Unfortunately, I've got it in a fairly "fast" soil and I've been away for a few days with no one to look after it. So upon seeing it gain, I've noticed it's showing dehydration signs (some droopy fronds, and just a few brown, dried ones).

I've watered it, and I'd expect that in a few hours it will no longer look kinda droopy, like it does just now.

But the other thing is that when I bought it from the nursery, I asked the people there if it had slow-release fertilizer in the soil and they said no, that it would need some fertlizing from time to time in the near future - though not much since we are entering the shorter, darker days of winter.

My question is: Once the fern no longer shows the immediate signs of dehydration, how long should I wait before giving the plant some fertilizer water? (I use a soluble fertilizer in watering water - using it in dilute amounts, usually about every two weeks in summer and about once a month in winter.)

Comments (3)