SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
carlisleliverpool

What are your easiest houseplants?

carlisleliverpool
16 years ago

Reading this forum it seems that the plants each person finds easy or difficult to look after are unique to them. Some people are finding that cannot keep plants alive that other people say are thriving without much effort at all.

A lot of this is probably down to differences in conditions in different people's homes, or people having incorrect information on how a plant should be cared for but it also seems to be down to people's different approaches to plant care... some people find it easy to make sure their plants are always watered on time but constantly forget to mist or feed, while others are very organised about when a plant needs fed, misted or other special treatment but don't get much time for regular watering.

So what plants have people personally found easiest to care for? In particular plants which haven't just remained alive, but which have thrived when you weren't doing all that much to it. What conditions do you have for it and do you have any idea why you find it so easy to look after... especially with plants that other people are struggling with.

I've found Boston Fern very easy to look after. I have one just around the corner from a west facing patio door, so it gets a fair bit of indirect light, but never any direct light. It can get quite chilly in my flat at winter because I'm quite stingy with heating and as I have a small flat with lots of plants, humidity is quite high.

I water it fairly regularly, twice a week in summer, and once in winter... but I'm too lazy to mist regularly... once a month if it's lucky. Since I got it though it has just exploded, it keeps growing and growing (though if you move it away from the wall you will see straggly growth on the side that gets no light at all.

I know some people have said they find Boston Ferns difficult to care for so maybe this will be of some help.

Comments (24)

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert