SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pkapeckopickldpepprz

Guess what I thought was Bermuda is really St Augustine?

I always assumed this grass was Bermuda as it looks like it by the way it spreads via stolons and it appears flattened moreso than the way typical Floratam or Sapphire St. Augustine grows.

Also the invasive nature of the grass made me assume it was Bermuda as I have tried to lasagne mulch over it around my Citrus trees to no avail and the only grass I was told that will thrive even under several inch layers of mulch like this is Bermuda grass.

I just picked up 2 flats of Celebration Bermuda plugs and they have very very fine blades almost like the Zoysia Emerald plugs I am familiar with.

Here is the grass that grows over the poly pebble decking. My idea of the only kind of grass that is supposed to do this is Bermuda. Correct me if I am wrong, but I have never experienced St. Augustine to spread like this, or appear stragely and thin like this. Notice it also doesn't really look like the Bermuda grass in the flats in the last picture below:

{{gwi:79141}}

Next is a picture of what I am familiar with as far as what St. Augustine is supposed to look like. Notice how thick and straw like and coarse bladed it is, which is one of the reasons I never cared for that type of grass here in Florida as A) everyone grows it here and B) it just doesn't appear attractive to me as it always seems bunchy despite how flat the sod was layed out:

{{gwi:79143}}

Next is 2 pictures of the grass that is mostly dominant over the lawn (probably 80-90%) and what I have been assuming is Bermuda. Notice it doesn't have that thick straw like appearance of the above St. Augustine and yet it doesn't have the fine bladed look of the Celebration Bermuda in the flat below. Is this what is called common Bermuda?

{{gwi:79144}}

{{gwi:79145}}

Last picture here is of the flat of Celebration Bermuda plugs. It doesn't look like either of the above grasses pictured, but maybe Celebration Bermuda looks different still from even common Bermuda?

{{gwi:79146}}

Your thoughts are welcome. Thanks.

Comments (28)