SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
blackrag

Planning for next year. Schedule

blackrag
14 years ago

Eastern PA, Zone 6A

Pretty much a professional lurker, I have come to appreciate the information and openess of this forum in the past year as a brand newb attempting to grow fruit. I have 6 semi-dwarf peaches (3 Elberta, 3 Georgia Belles) from rootstock that have completed their 2nd growing season and 9 semi-dwarf apples (7 Cortland, 2 Idared) from rootstock that have completed their 1st growing season. Having no prior experience other than the idea of impressing family and friends with perfect large baskets of fruit, I now realize that sucess will come from more than just planting a tree and walking away.

This season I have battled groundhogs, rabbits, deer, insects, CAR & other fungi. The only plan I had prepared was to spray them with dormant oil in January and at some point when I saw flowers was to spray them all with Bonide Fruit Spray every 10-14 days until "harvest".

Now, after having been exposed to the forum, keeping a journal, accumulating a few books and locating the PA coop ext website, I would like to formulate an improved plan for next season. If some of you would be so kind as to humor me and look this plan over, I would appreciate it. I realize that I do not have enough experience to cover it all but I would like to have a better plan with all this new information.

1. Rest of Summer: Dispose of all generic (useless) Fruit Spray. Continue to water during the current dry spell

2. Fall: Fertilize and compost, reinstall my deer fences.

3. Dec to mid Mar: (completely dormant) Spray both peaches and apples with Bordeaux mix

4. March: 1st Pruning/Training. Apples with a cental leader, Peaches in open vase

5. 1/2 green: Spray all with dormant oil

6. Peaches Full Bloom: Immunox

Apples Pink Buds: Immunox

(a 2nd spray 10-14 days later)

7. 75% Petal fall: Imidan

Repeating applications 10-14 days thereafter stopping 3 weeks prior to harvest. (Peach harvest was August 3-5 this year, no apples set this year)

8. Harvest, then repeat.

While I understand an educated or experienced orchardist would be able to react on the fly to what Mother Nature throws, I am only trying to prepare and purchase the materials I need now. Any thoughts? Notepad ready and Fullface Helmet on...

Thanks, Chad

Comments (11)