SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sturgeonguy

Planning for next year already...;-]

sturgeonguy
15 years ago

I've been looking at my records trying to understand the numbers.

For example. I got my China Doll tubers this year as new tubers from Swan's. I don't know when they woke them up. They took 14 days to put up shoots I could cut, and then 89 days more to flower. 103 days to bloom. Sounds right.

Compare this to Prince Charming. I woke it on January 15, and it took 44 days till I got a cutting. That cutting bloomed 100 days later. 144 days to bloom. Seems like longer than it should be.

If I assume a first bloom date of August 1st (for those that haven't bloomed yet) some would end up being 199 days from the tuber being woke through cutting to bloom. That seems like a really long time. Of course some won't be blooming even by then.

If I assume that a cutting takes 21 days (max) longer than a tuber, and I planted them on May 24th, that would mean some would have their first blooms on November 18! That's way too long, but I can't figure out where my math is mixed up.

Anyone else given this much thought?

In case you're wondering, I'm trying to work out a schedule for next year where I stagger bringing tubers out of storage to try and get first blooms for all of my varieties blooming around the same date.

Cheers,

Russ

Comments (5)