SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
elisa_z5

garden planning for less dependency on electricity?

elisa_z5
11 years ago

Hurricane Sandy dumped 3 feet of heavy wet snow, and the electricity was out for 2 weeks. People around here are talking about canning their meat instead of freezing it, and I'm still checking and tossing one bag after another of my wonderful garden produce from the freezer that was supposed to last us through the winter.

Plus, I confess, the National Geographic article on sun activity (solar storms) that can blast electricity systems with little warning, also got me thinking.

So, wondering if anyone else has been thinking about this -- ways to plant and harvest and store so that there is less dependency on the freezer in order to have food out of season, and of course in order not to waste the harvest.

What I've thought of so far:

plant more root crops, some to leave in the ground over winter, some to bring into the cellar. (Things I leave in the ground under hay: carrots, parsnips, leeks, rutabagas--can anything else be left in?)

plant 2 rows of winter greens instead of only one -- these are under cover, and are the usual leafy greens -- spinach, lettuce, mache, arugula, mustard, tatsoi, etc. What else can be grown in the winter?

Also thinking of canning some things that I previously was freezing, but I think that's a discussion for a different forum.

Comments (20)