SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nighthawk0911

Summer/Fall Florida 9B Garden Plan - Input & reccomendations welcome

nighthawk0911
7 years ago

Summer/Fall Garden Plant Out - Additional HARDY variety recommendations and comments on these varieties most welcome

SUMMER

SWEET POTATOES

Vardaman
Georgia Jet
Beuregard

So far the Vardaman plants are looking the best, followed by Georgia Jet & Beauregard. According to what I’ve read Beauregard MIGHT be less nematode resistant so that might explain why they are lagging a bit. Jewell is supposed to be an excellent variety, but Steele said they had to discontinue them as they were unable to procure slips this year. Impressed by how well Vardaman is growing - the real test will be how they taste. Plan on leaving a few in as perennials - curious to here for 2nd year sweet potatoes taste and how large they get. I have cooked up 5 lb sweet potatoes before and while they might take 3 days to cook, they still taste great.

September Fall Garden In ground Garden Plan

CHERRY MATERS

Supersweet 100 (Prefer Sweet 100 - if anyone knows where I can still find Sweet 100 seed let me know. I think Sweet 100 was a little less sweet and had a better balance of flavors.)
Sungold
Gardeners Delight
Husky Cherry
Juliete
Tami G
Green Grape

REGULAR HYBRID VFN MATERS - Sorry Heirlooms - You had your chance last year.

Better Boy - This is the variety I want if my survival ever depends on growing maters anywhere.
Big Beef
Beefmaster
Parks Whopper
Celebrity
FloraDade
Bella Rosa
Early Girl

IN BUCKETS/CONTAINERS

Rutgers (Hate growing in containers, but for Rutgers & Brandywine I’ll make an exception)

CUCUMBERS - Self Pollinating

Sweet Success & Diva (Going to try and grow at least a few on the screened back porch in buckets to protect them from pickleworm moth maggots)

BELL PEPPER

Carolina Wonder - Supposed to be Nematode resistant & bred for the south
Big Bertha
Jupiter
Giant Marconi
Grocery store variety - Has anyone grown BELL peppers from store bought peppers? I have heard that Green pepper seeds aren’t mature enough to be viable, but Red might germinate. Anyone know what the store bought varieties are?

OTHER PEPPERS

Sweet Banana
Hot Cherry
Tabasco
Pepperoncini
Hot Lemon

EGGPLANT

Black Beauty
Long Ping Tung
Ichiban - Can’t find seeds anymore. Anyone know a source?

SQUASH

Yellow Straightneck (Decimated by Melonworm/Pickleworm Moth maggots last fall. Going to try BT this year - input wanted on how effective BT is)

STRAWBERRIES - still looking for more input and reccomendations from people who have grown the most common Florida varieties.

Sweet Charlie??
Festival??

Comments (4)

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm