SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ficuslover

Fycus Lyrata single trunk to Multi trunk????

ficuslover
12 years ago

I am an avid Ficus Lyrata lover. I have taken many that are ill, black leaves (mold) and have nursed them back to help. I fertilize and give a little growth hormone and my plants are thriving. What I have attempted to do, with out any luck is grow my lyrata's into multi trunks. I have taken short, healthy, stocky trees, removed lower leaves and cut about 1/4" above a node flat across and at angles. No multi trunks just a surge of new leaf growth just below the point of cutting or lower on the trunk at nodes. I recently bought 3 healthy plants each about 3 or 4' tall. I removed all lower leaves cut the top at a flat angle (indoor plant) have been giving it food and hormones and it is doing the same thing, as the lower bushy plants. How do you force a multi trunk? I want my lyrats to grow into tall trees with a super bushy top (requires multi trunks) and a tall clean trunk to fill my large ceiling super bright room. Please tell me the magic? I've asked nursery's (they told me there not the grower) but they believe that is what the grower is doing. I took all the trees off their stakes and put 3 stakes in and wrapped the circumfrance of the stakes to train the plants to grow strong on their own???? Don't know if that is correct but I could really use some help in making my single trunk into a multi. Please help :)

Comments (11)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!