SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
llckll_gw

Convert braided trunk pachira aquatica to single trunk

llckll
10 years ago

Hi All,

I'm pretty new to indoor house plants but it's been very rewarding and hope to learn a lot through these forums.

I have a braided pachira aquatica about 1.5' high. I was reading through the forums and people say that single trunks will thrive better.

What is the proper way to un-braid and plant as single trunks?

Right now, it's also in regular potting soil. I think i'm going to create a mix of 1:1 potting soil and perlite. Would that be a good mix? Any other recommendations? New stems are growing but I'm sure with the right soil mix, it can thrive even more.

Also, I saw a YouTube video this morning where someone cut off a few stems and placed it in water. After a couple months, it started growing healthy roots in the water. So I proceeded to do the same this morning and placed a few stems in water. Once roots come out, I was planning on re-potting in the recommended soil. Your thoughts?

I will post pics of my current plant later on when I get home.

All your advice is greatly appreciated!

Comments (83)

• jane__ny
    8 years ago

My large Pachira got blown over during a storm and a branch was snapped. After getting the tree upright again, I stuck the stem in a small pot which was nearby. It rooted. This photo shows the branch with the leaves which never fell off. The branch/cutting was put in a place where I forgot about it until a month later. It is well rooted after 4 months with roots coming out of the small pot. I guess this would be called a woody branch, but I was surprised a piece this big rooted without any leaf loss.

In this shot you can see new growth at the top
    Roots coming out of a crack in the bottom of the pot. This is a 6" pot
    This is a shot of the broken branch on the large tree which is now making a new branch. I realize I should have cleaned that up. Will do tomorrow!

I have done both woody and green cuttings. As you can see by the above photos, that was a large branch which I just stuck in a pot with some old dirt. I did nothing to it except to forget it. I plan to bump it up to a larger pot.

This tree grows fast. Over the years it has been cut back many times. I have made numerous cuttings which always rooted no matter what time of the year. My tree has always had good sunlight both indoor and out.

I'm not sure whether it matters if the cutting is green or woody. I have never tried a leaf as I have not had any reason. I like to control growth by cutting the trunk back to woody material to get more bushiness. It is long overdue and I will probably cut it back next Spring.

Jane

• Sugi_C (Las Vegas, NV)
    8 years ago

Geez, forget the Pachira (though positively impressive) -I want your patio enclosure, Jane! How lovely! It's like an open.greenhouse! What direction does the glass face?

Josh (josh_pa) is correct about leaf cuttings. I've never had it work if the leaf stem did not come off clean from the trunk/branch, which doesn't mean it's impossible but does mean it's infinitely harder, at least. I'll take a photo tomorrow and show you--I took about 5-6 leaves for a new pot during this unbraiding session. Couple look iffy but the remainder look like they're doing well. About my usual rate with just leaves.

Josh (greenman) is really good with Pachira. And he's also really brave with pruning them if I recall correctly. I haven't lopped mine yet because I always intended to split them up. Next spring, I'll grow a set and top them all. Lol

And now to think of it, I did have one trunk die years ago, almost the first week I bought this thing and planted it into regular potting mix and watered it like a fern, no doubt. I forgot about that....Oh well. :)

• Related Discussions

Pachira Aquatica / Money Tree 3 trunks dead

Q

Comments (2)
    Is there a reason for the duplicate post? Sometimes this Forum needs to be refreshed several times...or else you can't see New Threads or new replies to Threads. Is that what happened? Josh Here is a link that might be useful: Pachira Aquatica / Money Tree 3 trunks dead
    ...See More

Pachira Aquatica / Money Tree 3 trunks dead

Q

Comments (2)
    Hi! Don't worry about the parts that died, that was not under your control. Now you can help the living parts become stronger with Josh's advice. I have a pachira tree as well, it went from tiny to tall and now its tiny again. I trimmed it about a month ago and I have loads of new growth! So no need to worry, the trunks that are still alive will thrive. Joshs tree is only one trunk, I like the look because I mainly see braided money trees so this is a nice change, almost even more appealing than the braid. Ashley
    ...See More

how to grow Pachira Aquatica from seed

Q

Comments (18)
    My "Momma" Money Tree is now about 15 years old and about 10 feet tall. It hates the weather out here in Anaheim where we recently saw 112 degrees Fahrenheit !! I have babies grown from seeds of this tree which are quite happy in the shade. In winter, temperatures are no lower than mid 40's. The little trees I have, get lots of water, no fertilizer (since planted in MiracleGro laced potting soil) and are quite robust. I think I have a couple of grasshoppers who try to munch on the 3 small trees on my porch, otherwise, these trees/plants are quite low-maintenance. I've mailed seeds to people, but they live in quite severely cold climates (Pittsburgh, for one). Southern California is generally fine as long as you keep them out of the sun! The porch "trees" have not been harmed by the 112 degrees, but the "Momma" tree which is out in the full sun, is quite unhappy, with much smaller, yellowish leaves. Poor baby. It was originally bought by me as a "twined" group of several plants; all but one died. This is common as the plants get older. I wouldn't torture the poor plants like that; give them a good chance at life!! The Momma hasn't put out any flowers this year, again probably due to this outrageous weather. At least we don't have fires where I live! The several plants I've given away locally are all thriving in shade or part sun. The seeds here have usually sprout in a week or two, and grow amazingly quickly. The porch trio were planted altogether; I believe I started with about 5 seeds and have 3 robust 2 foot trees now. The trees appear to be deciduous, at least Momma has been, even in the milder Huntington Beach climate where it started. I was shocked to see the leaves all fall when I was in Huntington, not expecting a "tropical" plant to be deciduous! But I left it alone, and lo and behold it got all of its leaves again. In Anaheim, in full sun, the leaves are smaller, yellowish, and fall out in late September. Several branches have died; I hope this valiant tree makes it to next year!
    ...See More

Help on Chopping Braided Pachira Aquatica into Bonsai

Q

Comments (9)
    i agree, this is not the time of year to do any major work on a plant. Try to give the plant strong light and keep it a bit moist, don't let it dry out totally. I grew mine in NY for years. I now live in Florida where it has grown quite large. As Josh explained, they really don't branch well. They tend to grow tall with growth on the top. I have cut mine numerous times and plant a big chop this Spring. But, in my experience they do not really branch. They grow taller and taller. You might be lucky and get a couple of offshoots, but that's rare...at least for me. I honestly don't think they make good bonsai candidate. Al would be the expert on that. But, you can continue to root prune and keep the top cut back so it can live in your house. I strongly recommend putting it outdoors in Spring and let it grow outside. It really makes a big difference. I keep mine under control by root pruning and top pruning every few years. This was taken five years ago growing out on a patio. It had been chopped at least 3x. This is the same tree this past summer (5 years since the above photo). I had just root pruned and repotted. I did not top prune. I will do that this summer. Since this repot it has grown a lot and is now against the screen roof. I plan to prune all the growth off the top to lower the tree and hope to get some side growth. Honestly, not sure how you could bonsai this tree. Jane
    ...See More
  • josh_pa_5b
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Grace, how long would you say a leaf cutting would take to become a tree of reasonable size (1/2" trunk, about 12" tall). I've been experimenting with cuttings from different types of plants, and if a cutting from a Pachira will grow as quickly as a full grown tree does, then I could probably have a reasonable tree in a year or two. Right now I'm working on a bunch of Boxwood cuttings, some lucky bamboo (which should be really easy) and a couple of Ponsettia cuttings. :D

Jane, that is a great little greenhouse/patio you have there! :D And so many trees! O3O My bedroom is full of trees, and I just need more space! (My mother always complains that she has to walk into a jungle when she goes into my room.)

Does anyone have experience with growing Avocado trees for Bonsai? I have 4 growing from pits in water right now. They seem to grow quite quickly.

-Thanks, Josh

• josh_pa_5b
    8 years ago

Here are 3 of my 5 Pachira aquatica's. I guess you could call them "pre-bonsai" material.

And my hand made pot. :D

• Sugi_C (Las Vegas, NV)
    8 years ago

Josh, I'd say years LOL. Sorry, I didn't see your question until now. I just do the leaf cuttings for fun when I am snipping off leaves for one reason or another, usually because I prune it to look the way I want. It's not necessarily to propagate and just because I don't want to throw it away.

I had one set that had grown quite a few new leaves that I gave to a friend. She roasted them to death shortly thereafter. I had another few I did after that and 3/4 took, getting new leaves but when I moved, I planted it in the ground at the new house before I left with a lot of my other plants just because moving all of my plants is the most tedious part of moving for me. It takes hours and hours. That one, the "main" stem had started to thicken slightly, but nothing impressive and it was a good year old.

These are about a month old or so, and obviously, a few are not gonna take, which is the norm for me. The remainder should be good. The issue I've always faced is transplanting as they grow one long taproot. Once they begin growing I always seem to injure a leaf or two while repotting so I'll lose another one or two from this set, too. :) Same happens to my China Doll cuttings....they mostly take and grow tons of roots. The problem is always when I repot because they need it. For that plant, I lose virtually 90% of cuttings when I repot...they just don't recover from it, which is strange because the parent plant doesn't have that issue at all.

• josh_pa_5b
    8 years ago

Jane,

Do you just leave the stems (including the petiole) in the soil? And how long?

I always check them too soon and they dry up after I check to see if there are roots. lol Do you have any experience growing aerial roots with these? I'm trying a new method that just keeps the entire trunk moist at all times. Maybe it will work. Sphagnum moss has never worked for me on Pachira.

China Doll makes a nice bonsai. :D

-Thanks, Josh

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    8 years ago

From leaf to large trunk takes many years.

Here's an image of a rooted leaf.

• josh_pa_5b
    8 years ago

Josh,

Oh wow. That is quite the root system. My full sized trees don't have a root system that developed! What growing medium do you use? Your soil looks similar to mine actually...

-Thanks, Josh

• Sugi_C (Las Vegas, NV)
    8 years ago

Josh_pa, think you meant me, not Jane, though I answer to anything. LOL Yes, I plant the petiole completely and as little stem as I can to keep them somewhat upright. I do not lift them out at all once they go in but as you can see, when one fails, it becomes quite clear. :-) About 2-3 months in, in a pot like mine, you'll see the soil dry out every single day then you know it's full of roots.

Josh, what do you do AFTER that phase? Mine get to the leaf rooting but then it usually starts fading upon repot. Not sure what I am doing wrong...I mean, I only have really cared about the main plant but it'd be great if I didn't kill all the cuttings upon repot.

• josh_pa_5b
    8 years ago

Grace,

Sorry. Don't know why I called you Jane. xD

-Thanks, Josh

• laticauda
    8 years ago

Do you wait for new growth before you repot them?

8 years ago

Hi, Grace, I pot them and keep them nice and moist once I see roots peeking out through the drainage holes. If the leaf petiole starts to become woody, that is a good sign.

Josh, I use a porous mix of lava rock, perlite, bark, and sometimes a bit of quartzite. It really, really promotes an incredible root-system, like nothing you'll find in a store-bought plant in peaty mix. My leaf-grown plant.

• josh_pa_5b
    8 years ago

Josh,

That is incredible! The mix I use is mostly bark, expanded perlite, vermiculite, and compost. Do you have any experience growing aerial roots on a Pachira aquatica?

And a question for anyone, is a Pachira a ficus at all? I've always assumed it was, but now I'm kind of confused.

-Thanks, Josh

8 years ago

Not a ficus at all. It is in the Mallow family.

Josh, in your smaller containers, the vermiculite and compost might help with moisture retention, but I would encourage you to steer away from vermiculite. The compost, as a minor portion, might not be too bad...but again, only as a small percentage of the overall mix.

I have no experience with aerial roots, nor have I seen it done with this species.

Josh

• josh_pa_5b
    8 years ago

Josh,

Ok, thanks. I put them in a small container because I didn't want to have to worry about overwatering. Where do you get lava rocks, and quartzite?

-Thanks, Josh

• jane__ny
    8 years ago

Now we have two Josh's!

Green Josh, good going on the leaf cutting! Amazing. Should grow pretty fast. I agree with Grace, you stick the cutting in and wait. Either it makes some growth or dies. Don't fiddle with it. I'm still amazed my large branch rooted. I never trimmed it and it had a full complement of leaves. Didn't lose any.

Pa Josh, I use small orchid bark, large perlite and about 1/2 MG potting mix. The MG holds some moisture. The large perlite is about the size of the small bark. I don't screen anything, just mix it all together.

Certain varieties of Ficus send out aerial roots. I don't see any on the Pachiras.

I live in Florida and Ficus are like weeds here. They grow all over and I'm constantly cutting them down. It amazes me as I always grew them as houseplants in NY and pampered them. Here in Florida, I'm cutting them down as weeds!

Large perlite (sponge rock), orchid bark and MG potting mix.

Jane

• josh_pa_5b
    8 years ago

Jane,

I know, it's funny what people will grow as houseplants in the north, and at the same time, they are growing rampant else where. My mix looks just like yours, just a lot finer. I use seaweed instead of Miracle grow for my trees though. I used the same soil for everything, bonsai and houseplants because technically, they are all full sized plants growing in miniature and can all benefit from the fast draining properties, and root growth encouragement that large particle soil has to offer.

-Josh

8 years ago

Hello!

I buy bags of lava rock (scoria) and quartzite at a local nursery.

The brand, however, is E.B. Stone, and available online. Shipping would be costly, though, since rock is quite heavy.

Josh

• josh_pa_5b
    8 years ago

Josh,

Hmmm. May just add small stones and sand.

Does anyone think this would work as a makeshift one-plant greenhouse? (Pardon the mess in the background, that is my brothers "work bench" as he calls it. More like an indoor junk yard.) :D

The center cylinder will be filled with water and the pot for the plant of choice will hang just under the water line. A duck canvas wick will pull water up into the soil, so it is essentially self-watering. The outside dish will be filled with water that will create a humid environment for the leaves, with the plastic bag containing the moisture. Of course, there will be holes in the bag to let some air in. Anyone think this will work for a tropical or semi-tropical tree in a dry environment, and thoughts/suggestions?

-Thanks, Josh

8 years ago

I don't know if it will work or not...but I've never used a humidity tent or self-watering set-ups.

Definitely don't add sand to your mix.

Josh

• Sugi_C (Las Vegas, NV)
    8 years ago

...what is that contraption FOR, JoshPA?

Surely, not your Pachira...?

• josh_pa_5b
    8 years ago

Grace,

Actually, I was thinking of trying my Pachira. I'd let it dry out every once in a while as to prevent rot, but I think that the trees would benefit from the humidity. And since they naturally live in an environment that is near water, I think the constant moisture should be fine, as long as it is allowed to dry out regularly. Maybe this will stimulate aerial roots as they are generally used to absorb carbon dioxide when the roots can't (submerged)...?

I've used so called 'humidity tents' in the past with Pachira's and it stimulates leaf growth like nothing else. But it's always been just a plastic bag over the pot for a week or so, I wonder how this will go.

(Other) Josh,

Why shouldn't I add sand? I would think that a coarse sand would improve drainage.

-Thanks, Josh

8 years ago

VERY coarse sand....it needs to be about 1/8 inch in diameter to improve drainage.

As for the aerial roots - I've never seen them on this species; neither my own, nor pictures of plants in the wild.

Josh

• Sugi_C (Las Vegas, NV)
    8 years ago

If it were my tree, I absolutely would not do that.

At least a couple of people here with much Pachira experience have shown you some outstanding specimens that they've grown sans contraption, outdoors and with their natural humidity. And while I can understand your thought process, you're thinking of its natural habitat, which I promise you--your pot, home and state are not. :) In a pseudo-greenhouse like yours, the main thing you'll be growing is...mold, I'd think.

if you need to increase humidity, you can place glasses, pitchers and bowls of plain water all around the plant's vicinity. I've done this with lucky bamboo to increase the area's humidity by some 10-15%. You can also get a used aquarium for dirt prices and keep the plants in it, topside up, with the same water bowls, etc. and it'll be quite humid in the vicinity, especially the lower half. But wetting the soil and keeping it wet in closed off circumstances with some holes will not fare well for your plant, I would guess.

I don't know a single thing about aerial roots except that I don't strive for any on any plant. But IF humidity is what triggers them AND you're certain Pachira grow them ever, then the aquarium method may be much safer. :-)

Just my two cents.

• josh_pa_5b
    8 years ago

Josh,

Would builders sand work? And with the aerial roots, I've never seen the typical root hanging from branch, but on mine the roots grow out above the soil, so I figured I could 'trick' the tree into growing them even higher, and therefore have "aerial roots".

Grace,

Yeah, Pennsylvania is definitely not Pachira's natural habitat! :D Maybe I'll just stick with a humidity tray and a sunny window sill. I might just put something worthless in it just to see what it does, maybe grass or moss, something of that nature.

-Thanks, Josh

8 years ago

I've never seen builders sand that is 1/8 inch in diameter.

Last night, I looked for images of aerial roots on Pachira, and there were a few images that seem to be Pachira with root nubs emerging from the trunk....so I guess it is possible.

Josh

• josh_pa_5b
    8 years ago

Josh,

I'll let you know if I can make mine grow aerial roots. I just love the look of them. I've read that in the wild, Pachira's will grow very wide at the base, and they use a ton of water. Do you have any Pachira's that grew super wide at the base? Almost like a Ponytail Palm? Also, have you ever been able to ramify a Pachira, and obtain smaller leaf size?

-Thanks, Josh

• josh_pa_5b
    8 years ago

Well, in 3 days, I'd say my Pachira grew a lot!

-Josh

• josh_pa_5b
    8 years ago

Here is a picture of the roots above soil. You can only see one, but there are 3 other fine roots growing out of the trunks.

-Josh

• laticauda
    8 years ago

Do you have a flash?

• josh_pa_5b
    8 years ago

Laticauda,

Unfortunately my normal camera's batteries are dead, and I'm using a cheap camera that doesn't have a screen, and is supposed to have an infrared light, but you know how that goes. Sorry, but this is the best I can do right now. Can you see the roots? I can highlight them...?

-Josh

• laticauda
    8 years ago

Not on my tiny screen, I'm sorry. Even if you highlighted it, I probably wouldn't be a leader to see it. Like with what they do to the moon footage.

• josh_pa_5b
    8 years ago

Laticauda,

Hmm... Don't what to do for ya then. :D

Josh (Green),

Picture of a Pachira aquatica with adventitious aerial roots in the wild.

And this is what my root systems look like, after over a year in a well draining mix (And a 6" pot).

-Josh

• josh_pa_5b
    8 years ago

What do you guys have to say about the following being used on/in the soil of potted trees/plants (Bonsai and/or typical house plants)?

Epsom Salt

Bone meal

Miracle Grow

Tap water vs. Rain water

Organic soil components vs. Inorganic components

Coffee grounds

Fresh water "seaweed"

-Thanks, Josh

• jane__ny
    8 years ago

Personally, except for the MG and rain water I would be hesitant to use any of the other items. I do use a seaweed fertilizer occassionally. I suppose you could add a small amount of Epsom Salt to your water but why? Your plants seem green and not suffering from nutrient deficiency. I have rain barrels connected to my gutters and only use rain or RO on my orchids and potted dirt plants.

I do not use regular soil or compost in potted plants. It is too heavy and can carry disease, insects and weeds.

I took a closer look at my Pachira photos and notice a few roots coming off the trunk. Never noticed it before.

Here's a closeup shot. Let me know if that is what you are talking about.

Jane

• josh_pa_5b
    8 years ago

Jane,

I'm not saying that my plants in particular need these things, just wanted to know your thoughts of them in general. I use the miracle grow on a couple of my trees about every other month. My Bonsai soil has about a tablespoon of bone meal per quart (estimating). During the winter I add under a teaspoon of Epsom salt per quart and a half (juice container) to keep my plants looking perky, as I do not have a green house, nor grow lights. The roots coming off of yours are exactly like mine, and I have a few finer roots coming out a little higher than yours. That's an massive trunk from what it looks like in the picture, how old it that tree?

-Thanks, Josh

• josh_pa_5b
    8 years ago

Ha, just found out that my sphagnum moss is coming to life after 6 months of neglect. :D (Disregard the time stamps, this camera hasn't been used in a while.)

-Josh

• jane__ny
    8 years ago

I don't remember exactly but my guess is its over 10 years, maybe 12. Was an itty bitty plant when I got it. I always grew it in high light (sw windows) and put it outside in the summer (in NY).

I honestly never spent that much time on it as life was busy and it grew happily on its own. It got fertilized whenever I fed my many other plants. I did lose one of the trunks when it was young and I attempted to unbraid it. You can see in my photo that I did unbraid but the trunks are very close together and one seems fused to the other. It is not a fussy plant.

Since we moved to Florida three years ago, it grows in full sun in a screened patio. I can't believe how large it grew. I never thought it could take full sun nor grow so fast.

I have always believed, 'light trumps everything!'

Jane

• josh_pa_5b
    8 years ago

Jane,

That's awesome! I stuck one of my trunks which was almost lifeless in the sun, and within a week it showed signs of life. The power of a giant fire ball. :D

-Josh

• jane__ny
    8 years ago

Yes!!

Jane

• HU-753221716
    3 years ago

Has anyone had their pachria grow something from old leaf nodes?

• HU-753221716
    3 years ago

Has anyone seen their pachira "bloom" from old leaf node?

3 years ago

Yes, my Pachira has put out new growth from old leaf nodes.

Josh

• HU-753221716
    3 years ago

Thank you Josh!

Are they new leaves? Branches?

Annette

3 years ago

Mine formed into new branches.

Josh

• HU-753221716
    3 years ago

Interesting, they are all over this ones trunk where leaves were some time ago. Thanks for getting back to me Josh, appreciate you.

• HU-768287578
    2 years ago

Emergency...my heart is breaking!

In 2005-2006 my son bought himself a small money tree. He passed away in 2007.

I have kept it alive all these years but it is ailing now. Over the years it has become a single trunk

about 4 ft tall on a very spindly trunk half of which is woody & half green. Lately it has lost most

leaves...now only 5 good looking ones near the top. I will take it out of pot to check roots & repot although it has never been overwatered. I need to know if I can cut the trunk & root some of what is left. As per some of the great comments you all have posted I think I can do this but I need courage & help from anybody reading this. For 14 years it has stayed with me & I can not bear to have it die.

2 years ago

That is a tragic story, indeed!

I have done this very procedure many times, so have courage. You can go about this two primary ways: the first is simply to repot the entire tree; the second is to cut off the healthy top and root it, and also repot and hope the trunk and rootmass survive.

I think it is imperative that you use a free-draining potting mix. I use bark, perlite, lava rock, and just a little potting mix as a binder/moisture retentive ingredient. And when I say "a little potting mix," I mean less than 10% of the overall mix. If you can't mix your own, I recommend a fine-grade Orchid Mix, to which you will probably add some coarse Perlite.

Repot keeping the roots moist at all times, thoroughly water and saturate the new mix when done, and place the tree in outdoor shade if available - no direct sun. Keep the mix uniformly moist with light waterings for at least a week after repotting.

You can either repot the tree first, and the cut the top off....or you can cut the top off and repot the tree all at once. It's a bit of a gamble, as I don't know the vitality of the tree, but I have confidence from repeated experience that the top will root (if it is healthy as you describe).

I place the cut top in a vase/jar of water, and I wait for white root primordia to appear. As soon as they appear, I transfer the cutting into a container of the same moist, free-draining mix, and I keep it moist while the cutting continues to root. I use #1 nursery containers.

• HU-768287578
    2 years ago

have been unable to thank you for your quick reply due to using different devices & sign in problems. so sorry because you really gave me a hand to hold and the guts to do this. thanks for the visual aids as they showed success. i know this is not brain surgery but alot was at stake personally so i appreciate your instructions & followed them exactly. will send pics of rebirth asap.

2 years ago

Very good, I look forwward to the update!

I hope it all works out.

Josh