SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
harvestmann

question about PC and Euro plums

alan haigh
14 years ago

I realize that not a lot of participants to this forum attempt growing Euro plums in plum curculio territory but maybe someone can pitch in something experientially to my question.

I attempt to grow fruit in southeastern NY with a very low spray schedule that includes 2 applications of Imidan beginning about when the Jonagold apple looses its flowers (petal fall) and finishing 10-14 days later. Many seasons, most sites, this works well for all the varieties of fruit I manage.

However in my own orchard I am having increasing losses of Euro plums to PC every year. For the last couple of weeks many of my Valor and Victory plums have been coloring up early and cutting them open reveals flesh beginning to rot and in about a third of the damaged fruit a single small PC larvae is also revealed. This is the first year where I'm really losing a significant amount of fruit.

My question is, do I need to tighten my schedule or extend it? I never see the PC on the fruit and I never find any larvae in J. plums, nectarines, apples or anything else I grow. I realize that the apples would likely crush the larvae but I would assume that there is another reason that I am only having issues with my Euro plums. My hunch is that I need to extend the schedule just because I get no damage on the J. plums which begin flowering at least a week earlier. However there was quite a bit of rain between sprays so wash-off may have been an issue.

Comments (2)