SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sun_worshiper

Can my peach be saved?

13 years ago

I am in Florida - Orlando area, zone 9b. I planted a low chill peach this spring. The cultivar is 'Flordabelle'. I pruned off some twiggy growth when it arrived (it had just started to break domancy), back to a bare trunk. I started shaping the new sprouts into a good form and that was proceeding fine until the rains started this summer. The tree then started getting some sort of shothole (around July) - with a lot of reddish discoloration on the leaves, yellowing leaves and dropping leaves. After consulting with local nurseries, I tried a nutritional spray. That made the problem worse - the condition of the leaves deteriorated significantly in the week after the spray. Much more shothole and much more red discoloration. The local nursery then recommended a very diluted copper spray, which I tried. That had the result of causing most of the leaves to drop within a week. After that, I decided to stop trying to "fix" the tree and just let it be. I gave it a small amount of good fertilizer with micronutrients - applied to the soil. That seemed to solve the yellowing leaf & dropping leaf problem on what few leaves remained. Unfortunately without any leaves in the full summer sun, the bark sunburned pretty badly. Started out as pinkish discoloration, and is now heavily speckled with brownish damages spots.

So my question is - is it worth trying to save this tree? Or should I call this a learning experience and plant a new tree this fall so it can get settled in before the full brutal heat of Florida summer next year?

Here are pictures of its current state.

The serious lack of leaves:

{{gwi:122286}}

{{gwi:122287}}

Close up of the shothole:

{{gwi:122288}}

{{gwi:122289}}

Close up of the growing tip, which to me looks bad - all blackened:

{{gwi:122290}}

The underside of a leaf - with a lot of reddish discoloration. Also shows the lesions on the bark that the sunburn (and or other disease factors) have caused:

{{gwi:122291}}

Looking top down for a good view of the damage to the bark:

{{gwi:122292}}

Any advice would be appreciated!

Comments (7)