SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
estreya_gw

Do i need to replace these cherry trees? (Pics)

estreya
14 years ago

Hello, all ...

I've become increasingly concerned about what i believe to be bacterial canker on my cherry trees. I would like your opinion on whether or not these trees should be removed and replaced with some other kind of fruit trees. A bit of background:

Currently, there are 18 fruit trees in my little edible landscape, three of which are cherries. Pretty much immediately after planting, i noticed some icky ooze on the Bing, particularly in the crotch areas. I called the nursery where the tree was purchased and they told me a certain amount of "gumosis" is to be expected from a cherry, particularly in a no-spray situation like my own.

Advance time by maybe three years and the problem is getting much worse. The worst of it is on the Bing where it apparently started, but i'm now seeing it at the base of my Stella, and there are signs of it on my Lapin. Not only that, but a non-cherry tree next to it, a Puget Gold apricot, also appears to have some dried sap on one of the branches. Could it be infected now too?

I'm very worried about the spread of this ick. Should i just rip out these cherries and put some other fruit trees in the same spot? If so, must i treat the soil in some way so it doesn't spread ick to whatever is planted there?

Honestly, the birds beat me to all the cherries anyway, so in spite of what beautiful trees they are, i'm not sure they're worth the risk of disease. And i've been wanting pears. So i've been thinking of removing the cherries and planting in their place a Ranier cherry (supposedly good for this area), and two pear trees, or perhaps a pear and another peach.

Thoughts?

Here are current photographs:

{{gwi:121881}}

{{gwi:121882}}

{{gwi:121883}}

Thank you so much everyone ...

e

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville