SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jamiedolan_gw

What House Plant will tolerate low / no natural light

jamiedolan
13 years ago

Hello;

I have quite a few different tropical house plants and recently added a huge jade to my collection. I have limited southern exposure window space. The jade and most of my tropicals are by the windows on the west side of the house (in the winter, almost all of them are still outside now, we have not had a frost yet here).

My Jade Plant (I have to show it off, I just got it this past week):

{{gwi:103150}}

Blog entry that shows the transplant process for the giant Jade:

http://jamiedolan.com/2010/09/21/the-jade-is-re-potted/

Now onto my question...

I have a spot in my foyer that has a built in planter. It gets very limited amounts of day light, almost no direct light.

I would love to grow something there, it is about 2' x 2' and can grow up almost as high as the ceiling. I had a rubber plant there for a while that looked nice, but it declined, so I bought the rubber plant outside for the summer and it looks great now, so I don't want to kill it by putting it back in such low light.

What are some house plants that would do better with this lack of light? I've read that lucky bamboo does really well with no direct light. However, all I have seen for sale is pretty small pieces of lucky bamboo, around 16" siz e pieces of bamboo for something like $8 each. At those prices, bamboo would be quite expensive to put in enough to look substantial.

I have around 15 different types of house plants, mainly tropicals, I am going to write up a list with all the plants names, but don't have that at the moment (and don't know all the names). I don't mind buying a new plant for this location as long as I can find it.

Thanks very much;

Jamie Dolan

Neenah, WI

Here is a link that might be useful: Re-potting the Giant Jade Plant

Comments (15)