SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nuhouse10

Color help - Large room, low natural light, brick fireplace

nuhouse10
6 years ago

Looking for color suggestions for this room. It's in a 1890s home but this portion was built in the 1980s. We primed it white and now we are stuck.

Features:

• Brick fireplace (close up of brick/mortar below). Do not want to paint.
  • Black and White Vinyl tile: Do not like it but saving for wood flooring
  • Stained Glass in Door
  • Bay Window (on left)
  • Leads into kitchen
  • Windows on left face West - Windows at far end of room face North.
  • Surrounded by trees - little light. This photo was taken on a very sunny day in the winter when there were no leaves on trees. In summer, it's much darker.

What we have tried:

• Bought house and it was painted bright yellow. Yuck
  • grays - light grays seem too dingy or cold (ie: sw repose gray), darker grays just look blah (ie: rockport way too dark, sw mindful just 'eh', sw requisite too brown and looked dark)
  • Off white walls looked dingy

Our goal is warm, cozy, relaxing but not modern/contemportary. Out the back window is a woods and mountain. The house was sold as a "folk victorian farmhouse". It might have looks farmhouse-y at one point and we wouldn't mind it again but they decorated in the 1990s and never did again until we purchased the home. We are trying to restore it to a more farmhouse/country/rustic feel. Our ideal would be wide plank floors and beams in this room...but that is for the future. It's currently a "tool room" as we work to re-do the rest of the house of this fixer-upper but want it to be more than just a place to store the tools. It's off the kitchen and has access to the main bathroom and a porch door and a patio door. We go through the room often, so it needs to be "usable".

Any suggestions? My husband thinks deep jewel tones or a deep blue-green might work to make it cozy and comfy. I wouldn't mind but I think that would be too dark. I tried all these lighter colors and they just make the fire place look so "blah".

Comments (9)