SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
christacharlene

Lets talk about watermelons

christacharlene
9 years ago

About 5 years ago I planted my first watermelon patch. I only planted one variety and that was Crimson Sweet. I had pretty good luck that year.

Every year since then I planted Watermelons alongside of the vegis I usually grow but the watermelon plants always died before they even got their first true leaves, until this year. I decided that I was going to do some research to prepare my garden soil for watermelons. I live in southern Ohio and have clay soil so I added a little sand, some horse manure, top soil, and compost to my beds and it made all the difference in the world. I grew melons that ranged in weight from 8 to 27 pounds. The varieties I grew this year are White Sugar Lump, Crimson Sweet, Orangeglo, and Klondike Blue Ribbon.

I am so excited and motivated to grow watermelons now. The melons I grew tasted so much better than the ones I have purchased from the grocery store. If I had to pick a favorite, I would probably choose Orangeglo.

I just wanted to get some opinions from you all. What are your favorite varieties and why? I am already thinking about what I am going to plant next year.

Here is a picture of my 3 year old with an Orangeglo watermelon that I picked on August 7th

This post was edited by Christacharlene on Wed, Oct 15, 14 at 17:47

Comments (18)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!