SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
purpleinopp

Weird palm thingie, which palm?

When my neighbor gave me this neglected tree at the beginning of June, it had a little growth on the trunk at one of the older nodes. I snapped it off while cleaning all of the old dead leaf stumps and it looked so vigorous and green, I stuck it in the pot next to Mama. I *think* it's gotten bigger and it must be alive to still be green after more than 3 months. There is definitely resistance if I tug gently on it.

I can't conjure any mental images of palms with branches, but brain farts are well within my repertoire. What is this thing? It's flat and looks a lot like an unfolded leaf. But do palms grow new leaves on old nodes? Not that I've seen. Flower stalks are usually round, not flat, so I ruled that out, as well as the fact that palms usually bloom way before June.

Don't think it's a parlor palm because the leaves are not the same as my other plant, the angle of the dangle, and the way the new leaves unfold. Majesty? How to tell the difference between the two? Does it matter? Probably not unless there's something significantly different about the culture of the various candidates this might be.

Comments (28)