SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ltgf

flea mkt finds and first casting

cait1
15 years ago

Sunday was the flea market and I found these things:

Got all the Santa 'gnomes' and the cement shoe for just $3. This people who run this stall usually charges a lot for their items so I was surprised by the lowered prices. There are some stalls I stay away from, but when I saw the gnome-ish Santas I had to ask about them. Then I offered a dollar for the shoe and they said yes.

{{gwi:136960}}

The guy I bought this stuff from I had never seen before. He had a lot of stuff and I could tell from all the empty boxes around where he had set up that he had already sold plenty of items. The market opens at 8 and there is just no way I can ever get there that early - I go to bed too late all the time! Bad habit that I must stop when the next day is flea market day. Anyway, I still got some great stuff and the swan is my favorite! I've been looking for one like it for a long time. Had seen one once but didn't want to pay what that person wanted, so I was expecting the same when I asked this seller how much... was very happy when he said 2 bucks. Whoo Hooo!! Can't wait to mosaic this baby!! The vase is another 'love this' item and now I really have to make a totem.

{{gwi:136962}}

On Sunday afternoon I decided to try out a couple of the molds that I got from the week before. I did nothing special to the molds other than check to see if there was any dried cement in them. I had looked up several sites and took advice from a couple of them. Then I made a cement mix of 1 part cement to 3 parts sand and added Weldbond and water, then filled the molds. I took a bucket, filled the bottom with sand, then put the mold in it and surrounded the mold with sand - that's how you keep it standing up. I waited the prescribed two days (making today the day to reveal the casting) before peeling back the mold; which, I might add, was the hardest part of this process. There are little holes in the casting, but I don't mind that. And Pattico, you are correct! They are part of a Snow White and 7 Dwarfs set. Turns out I made Happy and Doc!

{{gwi:136964}}

Enjoy!

Cait

Comments (16)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH