SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cfox248

Growing grapes in a pot - How easy is it?

cfox248
9 years ago

So, I posted this in container gardening, but I was directed over here as it was said there are users here with experience in this question! I'm just going to copy and paste the other post: I found a few relevant threads via the search function but none of the pictures were working for me, and pictures is definitely something I'm after!

Long story short: I've recently ordered a few plants from a particular online supplier and the plants ended up getting to me in awful condition. They did not pull through, and I got my money back... in the form of store credit, so I have to use it or it's a waste of money. I do not want to but another of the plants that died since they came to me so small and scrawny they weren't worth their price. There's a lot of things I'd like to buy (Looking for something fruiting or edible) but since I'm in Minnesota, it's gotta be in a pot, and many things (like the Hass Avocado I want so badly) do not do well in pots or are more trouble than they're worth.

Grapes came to mind, but I don't even know if that's possible. I don't know much about growing grapes. Can they grow in a nice big pot with a trellis to climb on? It looks like you have to chop them back every year, is that correct? So I wouldn't have to worry too much about the plant outgrowing the pot, save for a root pruning or a repot every few years? Is it even worth it? I love grapes, I'm curious as to how many grapes one plant would give me. Specifically looking at Concord grapes.

I do end up with a nice room with supplementary lighting over winter to keep my potted citrus and bonsai happy, so I could stick it in there, I think... Do they go dormant?

I'd love some of the MN hardy grapes, but I'm limited to what's available to me on the website. At least concords could hang out in my unheated garage or something and be okay, though I've heard they need an early start and ripen late... my other two options are Triumph and Summit grapes, though they're farther from my zone rating.

Comments (14)