SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sunnibel7

Cowart muscadine grape in pot, info needed

sunnibel7 Md 7
12 years ago

Okay, I semi-impulse shopped in the nursery today while picking up some parsley and marigolds and bought a Cowart muscadine grape. (I say semi- because I was planning on getting one of these, just at a better planting time.) Now I need a little help.

It's well past bud-break but all the current growth is quite young and tender, with flowers beginning to form. Planting instructions says to slice the roots with a shovel to initiate root growth, but I don't feel like that would be so good at this point in the plant's growth. Would it? I definitely want to move it out of this pot, but should I put it in the ground right away?

Also, its leader has two main shoots coming out about 1 1/2" above the soil line, and everything I read about pruning grapes says to have only one. Should I prune out one come dormancy? It is sort of wild and crazy-looking with shoots every which way, could I just stick it in a tomato cage until I'm ready to prune it and then shape it nicely? Your help would be appreciated!

Cheers!

Comments (5)

Sponsored
M&Z Home Services LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Established Home Remodeling Expert Since 2012