SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
vertdreams

Transitioning Lucky Bamboo from Water to Soil

vertdreams
9 years ago

So, I've had my lucky bamboo since around December of '12. I rescued it from a coworker who was... disinclined to care for plants, lol. He originally kept the poor thing in his office, no light, scarcely ever watering it. He eventually moved it from there to the break room and every day I'd walk past and eye it sorrowfully. I asked if I could rescue the LB, and he agreed, hoping I could do something with it. At the time, it had primarily crispy brown leaves, some yellow leaves, some just yellowing, and some burnt/yellowing tips. The plant also originally had 6 stalks. My first day bringing it home, it looked like 4... but then I noticed the other two, completely mushy, brown and rotten, still tied to the healthy-ish stalks, foliage non-existent.

I immediately removed those, pruned off the dead/dying leaves, and only left the leaves with the not too badly burnt tips - in fact, you can still see some of the yellowed tips on the older leaves of the plant in the pic, from all that time ago.

My baby was a sad, sad plant, but luckily I was able to stop the yellowing and save what was left of it (leaving me with a 4-stalked plant, which is apparently rather unlucky and means "death" in Chinese, if you're superstitious ;]). Growth was slow at first, as I tried to get it to recover, putting it in a new home and allowing it to get the appropriate amount of sunlight.

Now, though, since then, it has grown at least 3 times as big and is still happily pushing out new growth, with not one yellow/yellowing leaf. The less than clear tint to the water in the pic is due to a recent application of very, very light organic liquid fert, which nonetheless tinted the water a bit. However... I've read several conflicting opinions about the ideal home for LB on this site. Within the same thread there'll be several different viewpoints presented, and to varying degrees each person adamantly insists their opinion is correct. "LB bamboo can only truly thrive in soil," or "Water is the only way to go," that sort of thing. I suppose I'd just like some clarity, though it's possible there's no one right answer, but rather multiple feasible courses of action.

Most people I encounter throughout my daily life don't understand my love of plants, so I fear I've bored you all to tears, but I just wanted to convey how much even one plant means to me (my plants are almost sort of like my children, if that makes sense). I would be devastated if I transplanted my dracaena to soil, only to have it suffer or possibly even die.

So what do you guys think? Leave it as it is, in water, as I've always had it? Or make the move to dirt? What have your experiences been?

Thanking for your time, and for tolerating my rambling. :)

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus