SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
trailer_gal

maidenhair fern

trailer_gal
14 years ago

I have been reading postings about maidenhair ferns, some from 2007. I purchased several on Ebay, maybe in 2007. Slowly I have killed them off. Still have 3 left but they don't look very good. I have done this for many years, purchased them, have them live a few years and have to purchase more.

Was reading on Garden Web post from 2007, someone suggested that the roots need more air, so use clay pots. Another suggestion was to have more air use orchid soil that is coarser. I looked at orchid soil in Walmart and it all has 3 months of fertilizer added. Do you think it is ok to use that for the ferns or is it too much fertilizer?

I am also thinking of trying wick watering this time. If the orchid soil were used that would be good for wick watering. Also read on a post that Maidenhairs were seen growing out of sides of cliffs where there are waterfalls. That would tell me they want to be constantly moist but that they need good drainage. Wonder how the member that had asked for advice in 2007 fared, if the ferns are still living. Thanks for any advice.

Comments (4)