SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jesse_knight38

Help — Delta Maidenhair Fern Dying!

Jesse Knight
6 years ago

I bought my Delta Maidenhair Fern just over a month ago (4/17, it's 5/18 today). The first picture is from the day I brought her home. I know a good deal about plants- I have over 40 happy, thriving plants inside and in front of of my 900 sqft townhouse- but I was NOT prepared for this picky fern.

I live in US zone 8a, which is pretty dry. She was thriving in the greenhouse I got her from, but it's been a constant uphill battle inside my apartment where my housemate runs the humidity-sucking AC more often than I would. I keep a cool mist ultrasonic humidifier on the plant for at least 12 hours a day usually, and I keep the soil moist. The plant is too big for a terrarium without spending serious money on one, so last week I moved her into a glass bowl with the hopes that it would increase humidity (I had her on a pebble tray previously). There's usually not standing water on the bottom, but I had watered RIGHT before taking this.

I need help. I've spent hours researching the care of this plant. I only have south-facing windows, but I keep her 8 ft from the window and out of direct light. The new fronds keep dying.

The 'underbrush' is looking worse for wear, too (Ignore the clothes hanger, I used that because I heard the leaves were sensitive to the oils in human hands).

I also keep seeing fronds that have this coloring. I'm not sure what would be causing this. The plant was fertilized a bit over a month ago by the greenhouse company. One mistake I did make was watering with tap water, would this have caused this sort of discoloration? I've since switched to distilled / rainwater only. Or could this be a sign of root rot?

I keep the soil moist to the touch of the surface, should I be letting it dry out an inch or so? Any advice is greatly appreciated. I haven't killed a plant in years so I'm pretty worried about her.

Comments (9)