SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
aharriedmom

Repotting house plants into Al's mixes...

aharriedmom
11 years ago

I will post the results of my repotting (as/when it happens) to this thread as well as here.

~

I'm looking for thoughts on my choice of potting mediums (primarily using Al's gritty mix and 5-1-1) for my house plants.

Here is what I have so far:

Currently In Gritty Mix

1 snake plant (sansevieria trifasciata)

1 Echevaria (of some sort)

1 pacheveria glauca

Planned for 5-1-1

4 peace lilies (Spathiphyllum)

1 oyster plant (Tradescantia spathacea - it already has a thread started in this forum)

1 fittonia

Will these be okay in the gritty mix?

2 Anthurium

4 Pothos - 3 Marble Queen and 1 Neon.

1 Philodendron Hybrid (bright green, similar color to the neon pothos).

1 arrowhead vine (pink butterfly Nephthytis)

1 Dark Pittsburgh Ivy

1 Arabian Jasmine

2 pelargonium (one from a cutting off the other plant)

Plants I'm just really not sure about

2 Zygocactus (thanksgiving cactus) - a couple of years old, recently (but pre-this-forum) potted up into a mixture of small aquarium gravel/perlite/AV potting soil. I left the old soil on the roots and just put the other around it. Probably all wrong but the roots looked daunting. Also they seem to be fine with lots of new growth.

1 Zygocactus cutting in all fir bark. I think the pieces are too large.

Things that probably won't change, as it's working out fine so far

1 group of 1-2 inch mother-of-thousands in a small clay pot. Same mixture as the zygocactus - aquarium gravel,perlite,AV potting soil. My husband pulled these up on Saturday from a crack in the sidewalk at someone's house. They're doing fine (of course). -- I wrote much of this information on July 4 and reading this now is funny as these plants have TAKEN OFF. They're about 8 inches tall now, with several babies in the pot. I take them to the trash can every few days and scrape new babies off the leaves. I can't water it in the kitchen sink because it drains out to a field and I don't want any missed babies to fall off, run down the drain and start popping up in my outside world.

8 African Violets - currently in 50/50 AV soil & perlite. I've read mixed reviews on them in the gritty or 5-1-1, so I'm afraid to test it. I have numerous (too many) leaves started, so I'll end up trying a baby or two at some point.

Thank you so much!!!

Comments (32)

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County