SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
njbiology

Would fruits grown in zone 5 yield much less then zone 6?

njbiology
14 years ago

Hi,

I live in Northern NJ (USDA zone 6b) and hope to buy a little bit of land in either PA or upstate NY in a region which would be USDA zone 6 or 5. The purpose of the property would be to grow native and non-native fruit plants and trees, so climate is very important.

Much of the land in zone 6 is very expensive and zone 5 is often much cheaper. My intentions are to grow American persimmons, hardier varieties of Asian persimmons, hardy kiwis, the full range of sweet/sour cherries varieties, peaches, currants, grapes, hardier varieties of Figs, etc.

Would the yield and productivity of these above fruits be significant enough to stick with a zone 6b or 6a region, being worth the extra expense of the land?

With American persimmons, some selections (i.e. Meader, Szukis, Oreo, Prok, etc.) are said to be more cold-hardy and ripen earlier then others selections (i.e. Early Golden, etc.). If the trees were grown in full-sun/in the open, would even the later ripening selections yield as well in zone 5 as in zone 6? Same for cherries?

I feel that the real difference in ripening and yield, in contrast to zone 6b, would be noticeable in zone 4b and colder. And that as long as the plant is rated down to zone 5 cold hardy (American perismmons, hardy Asian persimmons, all cherries etc.), they will, true to label, grow *well* in zone 5 - just as well as in zone 6. IS this the case?

If not, I'll have to stick with no colder then zone 6a for these fruit tree varieties.

Comments (10)