SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
trace00969

I want to lose the pink, encourage the white....var.rubber tree

trace00969
16 years ago

Can't find the old thread anywhere, so I will start a new one. I remember a few people telling me that when the leaves of my ficus elastica (variegated) starting turning pink, this was because it was getting lots of light. OKAY!! I get it, but I don't like it......the variegated rubber tree has since been moved to almost full sun, I shade the tree with my patio umbrella in the hot hours of the afternoon (let me tell you if anyone go nears my patio table on a hot mid afternoon day....watch out...lol) Well now, where the white used to be, it has turned more than pink, it is a dark pink, almost red!

So here is my dilemma I want this tree to grow huge and use all the sun it can here, because in the winter, we have light 8 hours of a day. BUT, I want the white variegation back......I want the leaves to grow big, like the ones it came with when I bought it, but I also want them white. How does a greenhouse/nursery get their leaves so big, and not lose the white, how come theirs don't turn pink?

I am hoping the red will fade to white? Maybe? Is it too much to ask to want this plant to stay the same but grow too.....lol.

And just to vent a bit, this tree has caused me nothing but grief since I got it, I love it so much, it is so pretty, I searched for it, paid an arm and half a leg for it....lol. I have found millipedes in it, thought it had scales, thought it was getting sunburnt.....its a never ending story with this plant....lol. Had to get that off my chest.

Any Ideas anyone?!!?

Thanks so much everyone

Tracy

Comments (7)