SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hairmetal4ever

what would I gain/lose moving from MD to NH (z5b)

hairmetal4ever
9 years ago

For several reasons, including traffic, housing costs, and family, my DW and I are looking at leaving the DC/Baltimore area.

One area we may consider is the area around Nashua, NH as well as the part of MA closest to it. We're up here visiting family right now. This is a zone 5B area, with similar temps to Akron, OH where I used to live, but somewhat higher precipitation (47" vs. about 39").

Nashua itself is zone 5B, with all-time record lows in the -20ish range, Avg Jan temps 32/12 and avg July temps 82/59. The cooler summers (with somewhat lower overall incidence of drought) probably add some benefit for many trees.

The other area would be around SE PA - which is similar enough to where I am now that I'm not as concerned from a gardening perspective.

While moving somewhere a zone and a half colder means I "lose" some plants, I also think my chances improve for others, and that's the discussion I'm trying to start. I'll use Nashua as the specific area, but could be anywhere between Lowell, MA and Manchester, NH,

Some trees I like and want some feedback on, plus others I may be missing:

Acer saccharum - while Sugar Maples grow reasonably well in MD with proper siting, there are far more in MA and NH that are very, very large and healthy, I've seen some huge, very healthy ones since we've been up here, so I assume they'd be somewhat happier up here...

Acer palmatum - probably OK for the most part, but with more attention to sticking to the hardiest varieties.

Other Asian maples - not so sure, looking for feedback.

Conifers - I'll post more regarding conifers specifically over at that forum, but I'd think I lose the Cedrus but gain a lot of Abies in return as well as some others. I'm cautiously optimistic that Taxodium and Metasequoia would still be OK, although I haven't seen one up here.
I'd think conifers like Abies concolor and other firs would do even better.

Oaks - I'd only "lose" the evergreen oaks, I think - I assume that of course the oaks that are native like Q. alba, coccinea, bicolor, rubra, etc are fine as well as Q. michauxii - although not native, seems OK in zone 5b.

Redbuds - I'm guessing that as long as the seed sources is northern I'd be OK, but the newer cultivars might be too tender.

What would YOU take advantage of if making such a move?

Comments (20)