SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ginnyjj9b

I want to understand about spring growth in fruit trees

ginjj
9 years ago

As I walk by my 4 year old fuji apple, brushing the branches away, I look at it and try to understand what is happening and how to prune it.

The branches (probably all) that were pruned last year by my master gardener friend, have now pushed out 3 new branches ranging from 13" to 32"!!

I KNOW I don't want all 3 of these branches, I probably only want one. The tree is very full now, no way a bird could fly between the branches as I've heard is your goal.

I really have two questions:
Where can I learn about why apple branches grow as they do and what to do about them during each season of the year and why.

Secondly I'd like to know if I should prune in the spring or just summer if I'm trying to keep them at 7" or so. I know the philosophy of keeping trees low and Dave Wilson used to promote spring and summer pruning. I'm wondering which is best and why or do I really need to do both?

I know if I prune according to the list (crossing, dead, diseased, bending down etc.) it will open up the tree a lot, but that will still leave the remaining branches with the 3 new ones as a result of last year's cuts......

Once I understand something, it's much easier for me to do it. I really do want to understand this!

Thanks so much,
Ginny

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz