SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mrclint_so_cal

Which of your fruits taste great when not fully ripe?

MrClint
10 years ago

My goal has been to pick fresh organic fruit any (and every) day of the year. DWN backyard orchard culture (BYOC) has allowed me to do this successfully. Even with the best of plans, there can be still be gaps as ripening and harvests are not precise. My ripening schedule/plan is based on relative timing, whereas May starts with Loquats, Blueberries, and Desert Gold peach, then Beauty plum and Arctic Star nectarine follow thereafter (on into June). On and on it goes through out the year.

I would not reach my goal if I only ate fruit when it was dead ripe. The winners in my yard are varieties that can come in a little early and still taste great or hold for a time and still be excellent. For me, citrus is great and holds forever, but is not a good candidate for early harvest. All of my pluots hold well, but only Dapple Dandy tastes good when brought in early. Flavor King is nasty if not dead ripe.

So which of your fruits taste great when not fully ripe? For me Babcock peach is the champ. The sweet crunchiness is really a nice combination, and it can have sweet and melting fruit on the tree at the same time! Arctic Star nectarine is pretty good a little early. I expect the sub-acid fruits to be prime candidates for early harvest winners.

Comments (16)