SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
laura_larosa

Cocktail grapefruit ripe? Mandarin taste test and drowning rats ;)

Hi guys! Several updates and questions:

1. Yesterday my daughter and I tasted three mandarins...xie shan, kimbrough satsuma, and miho wase. The xie shan and kimbrough had a similar flavor (all were picked green/yellow) but the kimbrough has a thicker skin and was easier to peel. The xie shan was bigger, but my trees are young, so that may change. We liked those two the best. The miho wase was easy to peel and small (but I’ve gotten larger fruit from that tree, which is also young), but it had a blander flavor...not offensive, but bland. Again, as the trees mature, I’m sure the fruit quality will also.

Now onto my cocktail grapefruit. Is this fruit ripe? It does have some give when squeezed whereas the green ones do not.

Lastly, I have developed a mouse/rat problem in my yard. I am worried that they will try to move inside when winter comes. I see burrows in a few areas and have seen them poking out. This totally freaks me out! I have set traps in my shed and caught a rat and several mice, however, I can’t put those traps out in the yard bc of my dogs. I also put poison in those pet proof containers outside the fence, but they’re not going for them. Yesterday when I was watering my trees, I noticed one in a burrow and ran the hose into it for at least 10 mins. Do you think they can escape that? Those of you guys that know how to trap those things, please chime in. I need help! I don’t like to kill anything, but I draw the line at rats...

Comments (42)