SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
laura_larosa

Seville vs. chinotto sour orange - finally did a taste test

Yesterday I finally harvested a chinotto and compared it with my seville sour oranges. They looked similar (sorry, I forgot to take pics, but they were both orange on the inside and light orange/yellow on the inside, and very seedy) except the chinotto was a bit smaller. The flavor was quite different though. The seville was definitely much more sour, while the chinotto was quite a bit sweeter....not sweet enough to eat, but not as sour as the seville. My preference is for the seville because I like the flavor better for cooking. The chinotto also would work, but it seemed almost too sweet for it to be considered a sour orange. The tree sure is pretty though. Just thought I'd let everyone know.

As of now, I have tasted the seville, chinotto, rangpur lime, and sudachi mandarin. I know the last two are not oranges, but they are sour. I like them all for different reasons, but the chinotto would be my last choice purely for flavor. I love the sudachi flavor more than the rangpur, but the rangpur is also good and is a heavy producer. I love the look of the rangpur lime tree and am very happy to have it. The sudachi I have is from FW and I've had it several years and that thing just does not thrive. It does not die either, and produces a few fruit each year, but it is definitely not a strong tree. I am sure a better specimen would perform better. Maybe I'll try grafting myself a new one....:)

Comments (36)

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH