SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sangaree

DH heart surgery today

Purplemoon
16 years ago

According to Dr Dietrich, Fred did fine during surgery.......which took 3 hours!!!

I was a nervous wreck as I expected it to take half that time. Apparently there were some unexpected things the catscan last Wed. didn't show. And there is a chance he'll need more surgery tomorrow! Damn.

Plus that news really didn't go over well with him (as expected).

I'll try to explain without butchering what the doc said. He even drew out a diagram to make it easier to understand. But the aneurysm is close to one of Fred's kidneys, and something about the arteries branching off right there. So the stint wasn't put exactly where Dr. D. had wanted it. They will do another cat scan in the morning to see how the blood flow is doing, and if all is well, then he can come on home. However if its not, then they'll go back in and put another stint in a different place. In which case, he should be home Wed.

He's in a LOT of discomfort, but luckily is sleeping a lot. They have him in an ICU bay and he'll spend the night there. But visiting in that area is very restricted.

One person at a time, for only 15 min., and two hours between visits during the day. My oldest son went by this morning and is going back later and taking Fred some "good food" in hopes his Dad will be starving and able to eat (as opposed to nauseated and not wanting anything ). My daughter is going by at 3 or 5.

Jason was there all morning, while I stayed home with my Dad (tho he's recovering well from his two falls a couple of weeks ago). Fred had said no reason for me to sit around waiting room all morning. So I took care of Dad's needs, and talked to Jas a couple of times.

I will go back to see Fred with him at 7. going to be a miserable night for my husband in that ICU bay. He's going to feel rotten, some pain tho I sure hope not a lot with all the meds. But no phones, no TV (there goes his Mon night football).

I can call the desk to check on him, but can't talk to him in person.

So I'd appreciate some more good thoughts and prayers that further surgery not needed and he can come home tomorrow.

hugs, Karen

Comments (23)

Sponsored
J.S. Brown & Co.
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars77 Reviews
Columbus Leading Full Service Design Build Firm