SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
caflowerluver

Heart surgery for 90 YO Mom - good idea or not?(LONG)

caflowerluver
15 years ago

My 90 YO Mom was just in the hospital for chest pains and they did a bunch of tests and found out her heart is only working at 50% capacity. I am getting second hand reports so not sure if getting the whole picture.

My brother who was there in IL with her says that maybe the operation would increase it to 55-60%, so not worth the risk. He said he will wait and play it by ear for the next few weeks. Whatever that means??? My Mom is following his advice because she has been getting a little confused lately and not good at making her own decisions.

My sister, (lives with her half the year in FL in the winter) who is a nurse, says they could get the heart back to almost 90-95% function. If they were able to unclog blockages; put stents in arteries/veins blocked, keep her on anti-clot medicine. She also says since it is not pumping out the blood 100%, the remaining blood sits in the heart and will continue to clot/pool. There is the risk of a clot letting loose through the body and lodging in the heart, lung, brain, etc.

There are risks both ways. The risk of surgery, uncontrolled bleeding, risk of anesthetic, having a stroke during the operation. She does have a DNR. Or do nothing and be a time-bomb ticking away.

Overall her health is pretty good and she has always had a good will to live. I just want her to have as good quality of life and pain free as possible. I love her and want to keep her around as long as possible but not in a vegative state. I don't want to think of the alternatives if we do nothing.

Anyone else gone through this and can offer some advice?

Thanks.

Clare

Here is a picture of her and me at her 90th birthday party. I am a wreck at the thought of losing her.

{{gwi:265042}}

Comments (31)