SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ngmnewlywed

DH has heart attack

ngmnewlywed
16 years ago

Last Sat. morning about 3 am he woke up with severe chest pain and pain down his arm. He waited a while to see if it would go away (just like a man). At 5 am, I happen to wake up and see him sitting on the side of the bed and he told me what was going on.

He said that he had already taken 2 nitro and was going to go sit in his chair in the living room. I went with him. He had the 3rd nitro and then asked for aspirin. I told him if he needed an aspirin he was going to the hospital. He said he would go.

We arrive at Columbia VA and they don't do much for him. The EKG didn't show signs of heart attack and blood tests didn't show enzymes elevated. So they don't do anything for him except give him morphine. The said they called Charleston (where he had previuos stents) and said they didn't have a bed for him. After about 3 1/2 hours they sent him upstairs to MICU. They did nothing for him. He had to ask for a nitro patch. I inquired about the nitro drip and heprin drip (as advised from 2 other cardiac nurses from Richland Heart Center) and the Dr. said it wasn't necessary. He was offended I questioned his course of treatment and reminded me he was a doctor and they were just nurses. He continued to be in pain the entire day and nite.

So, on Sunday afternoon, they transported him to Charleston. We arrived there at 3 pm. He went by ambulance and I followed. The first thing they did is ask where his nitro drip and heprin drip were at. The EMT had to tell him there wasn't one. SO, they started him on those and did blood work. Turns out, he was having a heart attack. His levels were up when he came from Columbia and they kept rising. His attack was medium on the scale.

The did his heart cath on New Years eve. They were unsuccessful in removing any blockage. Surgeons came in and said that open heart surgery was too risky. The main vessel running right below the sturnum is the only one he has right now that is fully functional. If they had to crack his sturnum, they run the risk of damaging that vessel (which had already been bypassed in 95). So the only option he has right now, is to have them go in and try to use the rotor blade to drill out the vessels. They aren't even sure if they can get the wire for that through the blockages.

We came home on Wed the 2nd. He had chest pain all evening and all throught the nite. When he woke up he didn't have any more pain and has had none since then. He has been just trying to get caught up on his sleep.

Susie

Comments (23)

Sponsored
Custom Premiere Design-Build Contractor | Hilliard, OH