SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
loribee2

Mystery Lovers! Any Idea Whodunit?

loribee2
13 years ago

My green beans are getting eaten by an invisible culprit I've never seen. It's leaving behind this one-and-only clue:

{{gwi:108714}}

Okay, so I have seen a lone cucumber beetle that I squashed, but since then I haven't seen another anywhere in my garden. I caught a tiny green caterpillar under a leaf once, but that's the lot of it. Zero pests that I can find (and trust me--when I'm picking beans, I'm getting up close and personal to this vine). I look and look and look but I never see a solitary lurker, yet when I come out the next morning, I've got more beans with these little "stings" on them.

The only sign are these blemishes on my beans and some holes in the nearby leaves. The holes are high on the vine and on the outer leaves, which leads me to rule out slugs.

Really, here's my primary question: Do you think whatever did this has simply stuck his nose in my bean to suck out some juice? Or do you think it's stuck it's other side in to leave a microscopic egg or twelve? If something's just nibbling, I could probably bring myself to cut off the blemished end of the bean and eat the rest. If the bug has left something behind, the whole thing's going in the trash.

I'm offering a $10,000 reward to anyone who can help lead to the capture and demise of this bean-stinging scoundrel. (Okay, so that's a lie. I've got nothing other than my undying thanks!)

Comments (19)