SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
yellowdirt

New member with a couple of Questions viz fertilizing fruit trees

yellowdirt
14 years ago

Greetings,

I am a new member and am not used to this type of discussion, but have a number of fruit tree related questions that might get answered here which, if answered, might be useful to many. Specifically, I have a small orchard in Montana (Yellowstone region, whence the user name) consisting of locally grown trees: 4 pear (3 types); 2 plum, 2 cherry and 1 apple (the tenth tree, an apple, died in 'child-birth,' having produced some fruit in year #1, 2000...)

All the other nine trees have 'took,' and the pears--remarkably, say many--are doing especially well in terms of leafage. They look very healthy, despite my initial reluctance to prune (I know, I know...), and started to produce fruit a few years ago. Much of the crop was devoured by birds during my frequent absences, but so it goes.

This year, I am spending and indeed lavishing much more time on the orchard, whence my questions.

A nephew who deals with olive groves in Turkey advised me that he brings in a tractor three times a year to carve up the soil between his trees every year. In my case, I brought in a rototiller and broke up almost virgin sod, but left everything outside the drip-line plus some more unturned lest I destroy root systems, etc. The (Turkish) idea is that you must areate (sp) the soil, break up bacterial colonies, etc, and this seemed and seems sound to me.

Next, I applied some year old horse manure around the trunks, and then COVERED the drip line area with plastic, which I then covered with multiple strips of wood in a swirl pattern to keep the plastic down and create a dark spot to kill the grass/weeds that I had not rototilled, while leaving a good enough hole around the trunk to allow garden-hose water to irrigate.

(BELIEVE ME, I AM GETTING TO THE POINT!)

An agro-friend stopped by the other night and insisted I remove the plastic; I believe I shall do so, and leave the wooden/dark-spot swirls in place.

But here comes the real question: after describing my various endeavors to an old farmer pal with California vinyard connections, he suggested that I seed the rototilled areas between the trees with either alfalfa or mustard seed as nitrogen fixing agents.

I thought this a wonderful idea--until I started a google search on the Web (which ultimately led me to this site). As for 'mustard seed,' the only references seem to be Biblical, and end up comparing the Kingdom of Heaven to the tree/shrub that grows out of that tiny seed. While conceptually nifty, it is not what I want.

As for alfalfa, while nitrogen fixing, it seems that it is the LAST thing you want in the in-between spaces in your orchard? True? If so, why?

Lastly, what about the kill-the-grass&weeds with plastic strategy mentioned above? If the tree trunks are getting hosed water (and rain when it happens), are they not better off as such rather than having wild grasses leach their drink?

Best Regards

Yellowdirt

PS: the surf of the Net, which I have never done before in this regard, suggests VERY strongly that I should have pH soil tested even before I put in the trees almost ten years ago; rest assured, I shall get that done soonest!

Comments (5)