SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
candyspan

Leggy rubber tree... Should I prune? Please help!

candyspan
9 years ago

I just found this site, and am overwhelmed by the breadth and quality of information!

I have a rubber tree that I've had for about 5 years, not sure if that still means that it's young or not, but it's been growing steadily over the past several years but now it looks to be a bit on the "leggy" side and I desperately need some ideas. I want it to grow tall, and have a large trunk. Two years ago I took some cuttings from a piece that was dying and created two smaller ones (which are also leggy). I have attached a picture. All of the individual stems are growing well, producing new leaves, etc, but I'm concerned that the stem won't get any larger or stronger because there are no bottom leaves. I also want it to branch, but in the state that it's is notching the wrong play?

I'm also a bit of a newbie and don't want to kill it, so I need some help with what exactly terms like "cutting back to two leaves" means. Does that mean I cut off the whole top part of the stem with the healthy leaves, and leave just a smaller stem coming up from the soil? Is that the same as "tip" pruning?

That is all, and any and all help is greatly appreciated!

Sorry if people see the duplicate post in a different area of the forum. I had no way to delete it, but I needed to make sure the message was posted in the right forum. So sorry, and it won't happen again.

{{gwi:89403}}

{{gwi:89405}}

Thanks,
Dev

Comments (13)

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars29 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus