SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mr_subjunctive

Aglaonema 'Stars:' when good plants grow bad cultivars

16 years ago

Okay. Uncle. I give up. I bought an Aglaonema 'Stars' four months ago, and it has been very insistent since then that it does not like me and does not want to be here. It drops leaves when I water, it drops leaves when I don't water. As they fall, the leaves get that stippled look like there's a spider mite problem, but close inspection -- and I mean *close*, agonizing, prolonged inspection -- has so far failed to turn up anything pestlike.

The plant has nine stems in an 8-inch azalea pot. I didn't change the soil when I bought it, which I'm thinking now maybe I should have, but there's nothing obviously wrong with the soil; it's your basic peaty houseplant mix with some added small bits of styrofoam. Perlite would be better, but the soil seems loose enough all the same.

It gets bright fluorescent light right now, but we've also tried low artificial and moderate natural, with the same results. Temperature is room normal to maybe slightly warm, say 76-82F. If it were someone else's plant, I would diagnose overwatering, but -- I've almost never watered it. Maybe three times in four months, if even that.

I'm inclined to try to repot, because the soil could be too heavy -- it doesn't really look that bad to me, but it does stay wet for a long time. Alternately, I might just try to chop off the tops of all the stems and re-root them in water, because some of them are long enough that they're beginning to go horizontal and I kind of want to do that anyway. Does anybody else know this plant who might be able to advise?

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida